Sweep Masters Rowing Programs 2014
BIR offers several different sweep programs to accomodate a variety of work schedules, rowing goals, competition goals, and levels of rowing experience. See below for details.
If you are interested in a particular program, check first with its coordinator to make sure it's the right program for you; there may be times during preparation for a particular race when it's not appropriate to accomodate new rowers. Then use the Doodle scheduler to let the coach and coordinator(s) know when you'll be at practice.
2014 Fall Head Racing Season
We are targeting six regattas this fall, as listed below. The doodle addresses them all.
- Sept. 21: Row for the Cure: 5.5K, non-competitive. Sign up by Aug. 21.
- Sept. 27: Otter Island: 13K, non-competitive. Sign up by Aug. 27.
- Oct. 5: Tail of the Lake: 4K, competitive. Sign up by Sept. 5.
- Oct. 25/26: Head of the Gorge / Elk: 4.5K, 8K, competitive. Sign up by Sept. 1.
- Oct. 25/26: Portland Fall Classic / Portland LO/OP: 5K/7K. Sign up by Sept. 25.
- Nov. 2: Head of the Lake: 5K, competitive. Sign up by Oct. 2.
Saturday morning rowing
Weekend rows may have regatta focus on occasion but are generally open "ham and egg" rows involving ALL MASTERS GROUPS to build experience, fitness, and camaraderie. Practice times typically 7:00 - 9:00 am.
- Doodle schedule: Saturday Doodle Link
- Coordinator: see week-day coordinators below
- Coach: David Miller
Early morning rowing
This group meets Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays between 4:45-6:45am Coordinators/coach are listed/linked below. Note the time shift to 4:45am start.
This groups focuses on improving rowing technique, conditioning, and training for competition. The group includes both racers and non-racers.
Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays at 9:00 am.
Please doodle in for the entire week ahead. Make any necessary changes on Doodle by 3 pm the day before the row.
- Coaches: April Podbregar and Matt Niemeyer
- Doodle Schedule: Mid-Morning Rowing Doodle
- Coordinators: Christine Bonham
Mid Morning - Intermediate/Novice
This group is for Novice rowers upon graduating from Learn to Row, and for those who are returning to rowing after an extended period of time. Intermediate/Novice (IN) rowers will get a good workout and develop their skills as rowers and coxswains. Please doodle in or out as far in advance as possible and by 3:00 pm a day ahead. If emergency/illness requires you to cancel on the morning of rowing, please doodle out and text coordinator Jo Vander Stoep at (206) 841-1551.
Practice times: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9:00-11:00
Doodle schedule: Mid-Morning Intermediate Novice Rowing Doodle
This group involves rigorous workouts designed for experienced, competitive sweep rowers. Both men and women now row during this period.
- Coach: Matt Niemeyer
- Practice times: Tuesday, Thursday: 6:15 - 7:45 pm; Saturdays: 7 - 9 am
- Doodle schedules: Guys Rowing Doodle
Coordinator (interim): Kurt Frost
Join the mailing list: To get on the Evening Masters mailing list, please join the Google Group "BIR Evening Masters" and set your membership to receive email.
Intermediate/Novice Evening Rowing
This group is for Novice rowers upon graduating from Learn to Row, and for those who are returning to rowing after an extended period of time. Intermediate/Novice (IN) rowers will get a good workout and develop their skills as rowers and coxswains. Please doodle in or out as far in advance as possible and by noon on the day of rowing. If emergency/illness requires you to cancel on the morning of rowing, please doodle out and text Coach Matt.